Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) for pursuing
under-graduation in Professional and General courses in India
1. The Government of India has announced Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) for Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), for pursuing specific undergraduate courses (see at annex 1) in India during the 2016-17 academic year.
2. The courses under this programme do not include medical and related courses.
3. The SPDC is open to applicants in the age group of 17 to 21 years as on 1 October 2016. Applicants born on or after 1 October 1995 and before 1 October 1999 are eligible to apply.
4. PIO applicants are to submit proof of their Indian origin, which may be a valid PIO or OCI card. Those who cannot submit such evidences, are required to submit a declaration about their Indian origin in a prescribed format. Such declarations / affidavits will be attested by the Indian High Commissioner, Kuala Lumpur.
5. NRI applicants should have pursued at least 3 years of education abroad (in any one of the 66 countries mentioned at annex 2) during the last 6 years, and should have passed the qualifying examination abroad inclusive of 11th & 12th standard or equivalent (not beyond). NRI applicants must submit a certificate, which is to be attested by the High Commissioner of India certifying that the parent(s) of the candidate is/are working in a foreign country since last two years.
6. Applicants who are Children of Indian Workers, should have pursued at least 3 years of education in an ECR country (see annex 3) during the last 6 years, and should have passed the qualifying examination abroad inclusive of 11th & 12th standard or equivalent (not beyond). These applicants must submit a certificate to be attested by the High Commissioner of India certifying that their parent(s) is/are working in an ECR country since last two years. A copy of the parent(s) work permit for the ECR country must be submitted, attested by the Indian High Commission.
7. Applicants must have passed the 12th standard or equivalent qualification from a system of education recognised by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), with the requisite subjects for the course that they are applying for. The applicants must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate marks or equivalent grades in all the subjects in the qualifying examination. The marks obtained in an improvement / compartment examination shall not be considered i.e. marks obtained by re-sitting for an examination would not be considered.
8. Candidates who passed the qualifying examination and secured admission in an undergraduate course in the designated Institution in India and fulfil other eligibility criteria can apply for the SPDC. Such candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of marks/score obtained at the 12th standard level along with submission of proof of Admission Letter issued by the Institution, duly stamped and signed by the Authorized Signatory of that Institution and other required documents submitted only on the SPDC portal by 23 September 2016.
9. The total monthly income of the parent(s) of the PIO / NRI candidates should not exceed an amount equivalent to US $ 2,250. The applicants’ parents will provide signed salary certificate from the employer and latest annual income tax return, attested by the Indian Mission.
10. Candidates availing any scholarship / financial assistance / any other assistance under any scheme sponsored and/or funded by any State Government or the Central Government of India shall not be eligible for assistance under the SPDC. The applicants' parents/guardians are required to sign a declaration about this in a prescribed format.
Application and Selection Process:
11. Selection will be based exclusively on merit. Only applications submitted online at the SPDC portal along with the required documents (scan copy) by 23 September 2016 will be accepted. The list of selected candidates will be posted on the website of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India at www.mea.gov.in on 1 October 2016. Candidates will have to give their consent about acceptance of scholarship by e-mail to the MEA within 7 days of publication of the list of shortlisted candidates. Thereafter, candidates shall submit an undertaking duly stamped and signed by the respective Institution (within 15 days of display of the merit list) that as per the requirements of the SPDC Guidelines the Institute shall submit required documentation online from time to time. The students shall then be sent an 'Offer Letter' containing details of the scholarship amount admissible to them.
12. In the First Year, the scholarship provides partial financial assistance of 75% of the Institutional Economic Cost (IEC) or US $ 3,600 to US $ 4,000, per annum, whichever is less, depending upon the tuition fee structure of the Institution. IEC includes Tuition fee, Hostel fee and other institutional charges. (Food charges are excluded). For the Second and Subsequent Years, the amount of scholarship would depend on the marks scored by the candidate. For more details, check the SPDC Guidelines 2016-17 (see Annex 4).